Page Size & Orientation
Category : Technical Examples
This example explained
Handy Hint: Turn on hidden characters in your document template, by selecting ¶ from the Paragraph section on the Home Ribbon.
This will allow you to see Next Page Section Breaks which have relevance when changing
When the cursor is on a Section Break, you will be able to delete it and restore back to the
previous page size/orientation.
1) To set the page size/orientation
Choose Layout from the main menu bar.
Use the Size and Orientation options from Page Setup to choose the desired page size
To create a custom size page: -
Open up the Page Setup Box by selecting the tiny diagonal arrow in the right-hand
On the Paper Tab, specify Custom size.
Enter the desired size in the width and height boxes.
Press OK at the bottom of this Setup Box.
- If you want to change the measurement unit used (mm, cm, inches, picas, point)
for defining the new page size, go to File> Options> Advanced> Display
- From the Page Setup Box, you can change margins, headers, footers and other layout
aspects to be associated with the new page type.
2) To change the size/orientation of the NEXT page.
Insert a "Next Page" section before the page that needs to be changed in
From the Layout Menu, choose Breaks, then Next Page.
3) Set your new page size/orientation.
On the next page, follow Step 1 to set up your new page size.
Handy Hint: By turning on ¶, you can see the hidden manual page breaks which have
relevance when changing page size and orientation.
These page breaks can be edited/deleted by double clicking on them. Deleting a page
break will restore back to the previous page size/orientation.
1) Creating Page Styles
In LibreOffice, you need to initially set up Page Styles for all your pages of different
sizes and orientations.
- Choose Format - Styles and Formatting.
- This opens the Styles and Formatting Box.
- Anywhere within the Box, right click, then choose New.
- This opens the Page Styles Box.
- On the Organizer Tab, type the name of your New Page Style. For example, A5 Portrait.
- On the Page Tab, select the desired page size from the Format drop down list.
Then select the desired orientation. Press Apply and then OK.
The new page style will appear in the Styles and Formatting Box.
To create a custom size page: -
- Select User from the Format drop down list in the Page Styles Box and then enter the
desired page size in the Width and Height Boxes.
- To change the measurement unit (mm, cm, inches, picas, point) used for defining the
new page size, go to Tools - Options. Double Click LibreOffice Writer. Click on General.
- From the Page Style Box, you can change margins, headers, footers and other layout
aspects associated with the new page style.
2) To set/change the page size/orientation
If first page of document, then: -
Choose Format - Styles and Formatting.
In the Styles and Formatting Box, double-click on the desired page style.
To change the page size/orientation: -
Choose Insert - Manual Break before the page that needs to be changed in
This opens up the Insert Break Box.
Select Page break.
From the Style drop down list, choose the style of page that will follow the Page
Break. e.g. A5 portrait. Then click OK.